Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chicken Style Bean Stew

Check my notes about Vegan at the bottom sent to me by a friend.

UPDATE as of 03/11/11 - I didn't have any cream soup on hand so I just simmered the vegetables in the chicken broth and then added some milk at the end right before stirring in the flour/water mix. I actually liked it better.

1/2 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 carrots, cut into coins
olive oil
1 can garbanzo beans, drained (Or white beans)
1 can corn, drained
1 c. frozen peas
1 can cream of anything soup, undiluted (I usually use cream of chicken soup, but have used vegetarian cream of potato soup and it is great too)
5 c. water
3 chicken bouillon cubes (Imitation works just fine, still has the taste)
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 tsp. McCormick Rotisserie style chicken seasoning (Or a pinch of paprika and salt to taste, it doesnt contain any animal product though)
Large dash black pepper
1/4 c. flour

Saute onion and celery in oil until starting to get tender. Add carrots and saute 4 or 5 minutes more. Add water, chicken cubes, soup, corn, peas, beans, potatoes, and seasonings. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Mix flour and enough cold water together to form a thin paste. Stir that into the hot stew and cook, stirring, until thickened.

The two pictures are from different batches of stew made on different nights.


Vegan Alteration Added on 9/23/2010: Ok, I friend sent this to me, she used my favorite Edward and Sons Vegan NOTChicken bouillon cubes and then flour to thicken it and just left out the cream soup all together.

2 comments:

  1. WOW.WOW.WOW. This was totally awesome. I it is an instant staple, great use of beans, and a really easy "homey" dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I think the thing that really gives it the best flavor is the Rotisserie seasoning, not the same without it

    ReplyDelete