Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Red Beans and Brown Rice



This is the recipe I always think of first when I think of bean recipes, so it is fitting that it should be my first post. It isn't just my favorite bean recipe though, it is one of my favorite dishes of all time, it's just that good. My mom used to make it when I was growing up, it has such a wonderful bacon flavor. That and that fact that it is a supper simple recipe makes it an instant staple.

I just discovered "My Legume Love Affair" being hosted at Briciole and will  be sharing this recipe with them and I couldn't be more excited.  

1 lb bacon (the original recipe called for 4 slices, I like more so I use more)
2 cans red beans
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 heaping tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. parsley, chopped ( I always end up using dried)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. Mortons Natures seasons
Dash Tabasco sauce
3 or 4 c. cooked brown rice

Cook bacon until nice and crispy and then remove from pan. Saute the onion in the bacon grease until nice and tender. Add the flour and cook until thickened. Combine the liquid from beans and enough water to make 2 cups, add that to the pan and whisk in. Cook until thick and bubbly. Add the beans and remaining ingredients and simmer 10 minutes. Top with reserved crumbled bacon and serve over brown rice.

Vegetarian changes: Skip the bacon, saute the onions in butter. Replace salt with JDs vegetarian bacon salt to taste. Continue with the rest of the recipe as shown above.

5 comments:

  1. I love red beans and rice. I'll give this a try.

    My family loves Nature's seasonings. I think it's because of Wilma using it on her green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natures seasons is so good on so many things. I ususally serve the green beans with this. Have you ever made her simple alfredo? Cooked pasta, butter, parmesan, and nature seasons. Microwave to melt the cheese, mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beans and rice too! And I have dound that you don't have to skip the bacon - well, you do have to skip the "real" bacon if you're vegetarian or vegan. I always substitute Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon and it works just great! Thanks for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had great success with JD bacon salt too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete