Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Dads Fabulous Enchiladas

I can't believe I didn't think to post this until now. My dad makes wonderful enchiladas. He would make them when mom was gone and let us eat them in the living room and watch Star Wars during dinner.

1 1/2 cans refried beans (I usually add some salsa verde to my refried beans and simmer a few seconds for more flavor)
1/2 lb. hamburger OR 2 cans of whole beans
2 Tbsp. taco powder
2 c. Grated cheese, plus more for topping
1 onion, chopped
12 flour tortillas
2 cans red enchilada sauce

Sour Cream
Salsa

Combine taco powder and beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease. Spread tortilla with beans. Top with hamburger (or beans), onion, and then cheese. Roll tortilla and place seam side down in a 9x13 casserole. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Top all with enchilada sauce and additional cheese, if desired. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Serve with sour cream and salsa

Sometimes I also add some cooked Spanish rice to the filling.

Economical Counter: Feeds 6
1 1/2 cans refried beans $1.50
Hamburger $1.50
Taco Powder (based on 1oz from a 23 oz. Tones container) $0.18
Cheese $2.00
Onion $0.25
Tortillas (I buy them at the dollar store) $1.20
Enchilada sauce $2.50

Total: 9.13
Per serving total $1.52

No comments:

Post a Comment