Thursday, October 1, 2009

Refried beans

These are great over rice, in warm tortillas or as a dip with corn chips. When I make it for a dip I add a little extra broth for a thinner consistency.

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green chili, chopped ( I used 1/4 cup salsa verde)
14 oz. can kidney beans, drained
14 oz. can pinto beans, drained
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
(optional, this is my addition, I added a big pinch of chili powder)
1 c. vegetable stock
Salt & Pepper

Saute the onion in oil for about 3 - 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili and cook for another minute. Mash the beans with a potato masher and stir into the pan with the cilantro. Stir in the stock and cook the beans, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft and pulpy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment